BUACA Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Bikers United Against Child Abuse Canada)

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
We are here to announce that we are in full support of the women from around the world who run S.T.O.L.E.N, Strength Together Over Legal Empowerment Now. They have been exposing a large amount of corrupt individuals along with exposing pedophiles from across the globe. Lets welcome www.stolenshow.com and hope that you back us and support them as well. Thank You From: www.buaca.ca Bikers United Against Child Abuse, (Canada)
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
Latest topics
» Facebook given 72 hours to remove paedophile monitoring page
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:56 pm by BUACA CANADA

» AXJ & Pedophile John Aster reported to police.
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm by BUACA CANADA

» Taking child abuse stand
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 am by Guest

» JOHN ASTER THE TRUTH AFTER BEING EXPOSED
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm by Guest

» I Was Just Friended By Myself On Facebook
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:16 am by Guest

» Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 am by Guest

» Smartphone Apps and Bullying
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:10 am by Guest

» Cyber-bullying
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:01 am by Guest

» We have remedies for bullying: What’s missing is will
Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 11:46 am by Guest

Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   Empty
PostSubject: Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online    Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 am

Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online   171434-tony-mokbelThe man - who has lived in Australia for 42 years also claimed that a Google search for his name brought up stories about an unsolved shooting in 2004, causing damage to his reputation leading him to be ostracised within his migrant community.

A jury found Google liable for defamation in the Victorian Supreme court yesterday - a first in Australian history.

Google argued in court that it was not a publisher and therefore could not be held responsible.

Its search processes were automated and based on algorithms that crawl the web for content, Google said.

The jury had to deliberate on two separate issues: the first was the publication of a photo of the man that appeared on Google's image search.

The second had to do with a URL that appeared on Google's web search that linked to a web page containing the defamatory content, which included the man's image.

The jury found that Google was able to rely on the defence of "innocent dissemination" up until 2009 when the man's solicitors contacted Google to have the image removed.

However, it found that when it came to the URL, the man did not follow the proper process of reporting offensive content by Google - which can be achieved by filling out a form on its website and that Google was therefore not liable.

In a damages hearing this morning, Google argued that it could not be a publisher as a matter of law as search engine operators are "active intermediaries", but Justice Beach of the Victorian Supreme Court rejected Google's argument.

Justice Beach reserved judgement on damages and expects to deliver that ruling on Monday.

The man told News Ltd that he was pleased by the decision.

"This has been a big long battle I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy," he said.

"I've lived in Australia (for) 41 years. This case is not about money, it's about protecting my family, my children and reputation.''

The man said he has been shunned from local businesses that he has patronised for years.

"I used to go (to) a little restaurant every week. Now people won't talk to me," he said.

"Google needs to be held accountable."

Google declined to comment.

The ruling comes almost eight months after the man won a similar case against Yahoo! who was ordered by the Victorian Supreme Court to pay damages of $225,000.

Back to top Go down

Australian man wins defamation case against Google over images published online
Page 1 of 1